Last Updated: March 2020
There are a lot of premium coolers out there but what makes the Igloo an attractive option to many customers?
To begin with, Igloo coolers are cost efficient; they come in different sizes. And of course, they have a wide range of products and the pricing models are buyer friendly which is often the deciding factor for most customers.
In this review, we will be looking at the top igloo coolers that are highly rated by consumers. What we consider before adding these products to the list includes – Durability and Quality, Utility, Insulation, Ice retention, price, and positive customer feedback. And that ladies and gentlemen leave us with cream of the crop products that can be used for tailgating, camping, picnic, hunting, etc.
- 1 Igloo Cooler Reviews
- 1.1 Igloo Yukon Cold Locker
- 1.2 Igloo Max 40QT Ultra Roller Cooler
- 1.3 Igloo Trailmate Journey
- 1.4 Igloo Sportsman Cooler
- 1.5 Igloo BMX 52 Quart Cooler
- 1.6 Igloo Play Mate Elite Cooler
- 1.7 Igloo Latitude 50 Quart Cooler
- 1.8 Igloo Quick and Cool Cooler
- 1.9 Igloo Iceless 40QT Thermoelectric Power Cooler
- 1.10 Igloo Outdoorsman Hardtop Grippe
- 1.11 Igloo Coolers Review – Factors To Consider When Buying
- 1.12 Conclusion
Igloo Cooler Reviews
Igloo Yukon Cold Locker
- Integrated fish keeper scale measuring tool on lid
- Constructed of ultra durable rotational-molded polyethylene
- Raised, textured work surface on lid
- Oversized tethered drain plug for easy draining and cleaning
- Dual lid locks for maximum security
Many first-hand reviewers have rated the Igloo Yukon Cold Locker as the best ice retaining and most durable igloo ice chest. With that revelation foster a lot of expectation and we will tear down every feature to this product here.
Appearance wise, the Yukon cold locker looks rather rugged, burly and boy is it thick? The Yukon utilizes a Rotomolded construction thus its heavy nature. Edge of the lid integrates a hole to lock the cooler with a padlock against thieves and animals.
Igloo Yukon capacity ranges from medium to giant coolers (50QT, 70QT, 120QT, 150QT, 250QT) meaning there are many sizes to choose from. Unlike most mid-entry igloo products, this ice chest features a latch and a quality gasket to prevent heat from getting inside. The molded-in handles stick out from the sides for easy transport and carrying heavy items is easier for two people to lift it.
Overall, there are many features that make igloo Yukon rated by many users, these includes but are not limited to the following; measuring tape in the lid, great color options, non-skid feet, tie-down points and much more.
Igloo Max 40QT Ultra Roller Cooler
- Pack 40 quarts' worth of your favorite food and beverages, then roll it to your destination of choice
- Extra insulation in lid and body is capable of keeping ice for five full days
- Rugged, durable wheels and stout, wide swing-up tow handle make it easy to transport
- Easy-to-clean, stain and odor resistant liner
- Includes limited one-year manufacturer's warranty
Igloo Maxcold Ultra is a wheeled cooler for budget customers. It has mobile wheels that ease the stress of lifting a cooler and the tow handle allows for swift movements. It has 40 quarts provides a room that can hold up to 56 cans of beer plus additional space for ice. You get many option sizes ranging from 40QT- 100QT.
Igloo used its patent ultratherm insulation around the walls and lid, the result is increased insulation and improved ice performance. You can get an average of 2-3 days of ice, assuming the cooler is properly packed and the cooler isn’t exposed to high temperatures. We advise users to keep their coolers in the shade when it’s not in use.
In conclusion, the ultra-roller could have been better with sturdier wheels, latch mechanism, quality gasket this product could have transcended to the premium echelon. Despite some shortcomings, ultra roller holds some features that will give you enough to suffice the price you paid for it.
Igloo Trailmate Journey
- Ultratherm insulated body and lid provide 4-day ice retention performance
- Butler tray utilizes the telescoping handle for serving snacks and drinks, and it stores under the lid when not in use
- Two bottle openers are at your fingertips when you're ready to enjoy another refreshment
- Oversized 10 inch never-flat wheels tackle Sand and other challenging terrain with superior traction and ease. Ultratherm — Fully insulated for advanced cooling performance
- Exterior Dimensions ( L x W x H )- 34.59 x 19.7 x 23.61 inches. Weight-34.7 pounds. Self-draining cup holders keep your cold ones in arm's reach
In the higher echelon of igloo coolers on sale, the Trailmate only comes behind the Yukon and the Sportsman. It has a sophisticated look and some fancy cutout that are rather aesthetically gimmicky. With many users impressed with the design, maybe it’s a good thing for men of style.
Yet another wheeled cooler for users that love the idea of cruising through hard terrains and sandy beach with the cooler following behind. The wheels are 10-inch heavy duty beasts that can carry all the contents inside and move on any terrain with ease.
It features a telescoping handle that could be used for serving drinks on a butler tray that could be hidden under the lid when not needed. Also, space is not a concern as it has a 70QT capacity that can pack up to 112 cans of beer.
Another good thing about the cooler is ice retention – you can get up to 4 days of cold drinks and food. The price is on the higher side and if you can spend on more than $100 on an ice chest, then you’ll have a companion for any occasion, you name it.
Igloo Sportsman Cooler
- Virtually indestructible rotational-molded construction minimum 2" insulating foam in lid and 15-20" foam in body
- Heavy-duty "3-point grab" handle with comfort grip with durable, rubberized T-Grip lid latches
- Lockable lid for maximum security - uses standard-size lock with a integrated fish ruler. Self-stopping integrated lid hinge opens and closes efficiently
- Anti-skid feet on base keeps cooler from sliding and moving in truck or on the boat. Robust swing-up side handles provide easy, stable transport and fold flat for space-efficient storage
- Oversized, tethered drain plug allows quick draining and easy cleaning
Igloo Sportsman will share the spotlight of the Yukon and as far as durability goes, this is the most durable igloo ice chest on the market. Thanks to the Rotomolded construction, what you get is a robust, bulky and cold interior reservoir. It has a locking hole integrated to the lid, which means the cooler is grizzly bear resistant. As a bonus, you get to prevent unauthorized access from intruder too.
It has a two-inch insulation wall, rubberized T-grip handles and a base that seals properly that offers up to 5 days of ice. The oversized drainage plug allows for cleaning and quick water drain.
The heavy-duty handle provides a soft grip for convenient transport. A non-skid foot ensures the cooler does not leave marks on your floor and keeps the cooler from sliding.
The sportsman cooler comes with an all-white exterior making it suitable for marine functions. More so, the cooler helps repel harmful UV rays.
On the downside, this product is heavy even when empty and costs more compared to the other models on the list. Despite its faults, it is a buy for life product that has all the rings and bells of an ideal cooler.
Igloo BMX 52 Quart Cooler
- Heavy duty blow-molded construction with reinforced base for increased strength and protection.
- Extremely durable yet lightweight with proven 4-5 day ice retention at 90°F
- UV inhibitors protect the cooler against sun damage for extended life. Capacity: 83 12-ounce cans, 52 quarts (49 liters)
- Rust-resistant, stainless-steel hinge rods and hardware provide extended performance.
- Rubberized T-grip latches keep lid secure. Threaded drain plug is garden hose compatible and features a non-slip, easy-grip stainless steel tethered cap
Next up is the Igloo BMX. It comes out looking rugged. Average users will like the features incorporated into this to cooler. The cooler features a customized Maxcold body, and igloo boasts of 5-days ice retention which is exaggerated. But according to many users, it manages to give only 2 days of ice or less, which we believe to be realistic. Under the base, a cool riser technology is used to resist heat transmission from hot surfaces.
The swing-up hands provide ease when transporting as it is comfortable and durable. It can hold the whole weight of the cooler even when filled with drinks and food. T-grip latches are used to close off the lid and keep the interior cold for longer times. It has stainless-steel hinge rods that are rust resistant.
Again, UV materials are used to protect the cooler from harmful rays from the sun – which makes it suitable for marine purposes, hunting, picnic, and many outdoor events. It has built-in tie downs to secure the cooler to boat decks and trucks.
With helpful features like the ruler on the lid to measure your catch, threaded drain plug for quick draining of water, there’s no doubt about this coolers utility.
On drawbacks, users have complained about the weak parts which are susceptible to break off. If you need something robust and rugged, then you should check out tougher models like the Yukon or Sportsman
Igloo Play Mate Elite Cooler
Throwing into the mix is the Igloo Playmate Elite Cooler. We included this cooler not because it has high ice retention or quality. Buts to diversify the list – and this lunch cooler is ideal for customers looking for affordable lunch coolers for work.
The playmate elite is a portable cooler that can fit into tight spaces. Compared to hard and some soft-sided chest, it’s lightweight which means it is relatively easy to carry around. Thanks to the soft grip handle which allow users to comfortably carry the playmate with one hand.
Instead of a latch, it uses a push button lid for quick access to your drinks and food. To open the cooler, the lid rests on the sides of the cooler.
The interior is made with easy to clean materials. While the body is made with light materials, it is compact and can last years of careful use. Many positive feedbacks about this product reveal decent ice retention for about 24 hours.
Overall, this cooler is not for all outdoor activities but for workers and students that need a portable cooler to hold their lunch. Considering this cooler is priced at a cheap end, all your fears are laid to rest.
Igloo Latitude 50 Quart Cooler
- New! mechanical structured appearance featuring "deep draw" liner
- Comfort grip swing-up handles for easy loading in/out of vehicle
- Four self-draining drink holders keep your cold ones in arm's reach
- Mobile device stand with tall "backstop" allows you to park phones and tablets off the ground for easy access and viewing
- Cool riser technology - elevated design improves cooling performance
The latitude is one of the newest Igloo mid-range ice chests. It is sleek and affordable. It has molded-in cup holders which are handy to keep drinks and prevent the frequent opening of the cooler for extended ice times. While the latitude is not best at holding ice, it utilizes a cool riser technology which shapes the interior for better ice retention.
On the sides are the pivoting handles for transport which users have complained about the weak plastic used. Aside from this issue, the grips are comfortable and easy on the hands. Also, the walls and lid are not well insulated, so don’t expect prolonged ice performance.
The middle of the lid integrates a mobile device stand to keep your phones when not in use. The interior is easy to clean; however, it does not have a drain plug which is a major drawback. Another missing feature is the latching mechanism, as I’ve said earlier this coolers forte is not in ice retention.
Finally, this cooler is not the best and has some downsides. But it provides an excellent value for its price. If you want an ice chest for light use that can hold a lot of drinks and food, then you should check the latitude.
Igloo Quick and Cool Cooler
- 5 day 100 Qt. Cooler
- Quick access hatch to contents inside
- Swing up handles with tie down loops
- Holds 2 Liter Bottle upright
- Holds 145 cans plus ice.Dual snap-fit lid
We have moved up to giant cooler sizes – the igloo quick comes in two sizes, 100QT and 150QT. It utilizes ultratherm insulation to keep ice for long periods. Although Igloo boasts of a 7 days ice retention but the feedback from customers reports less ice time – around 2-3 days.
The lid utilizes a dual snap-fit latch to hold it down and prevent heat from getting inside. Interior liners allow for quick cleaning. And the threaded drain plug can be connected to a hose to purge out excess water. One great feature is the quick access port that half opens the lid for you to quickly grab your items.
The white finish makes this cooler suitable for marine outings as it can easily repel heat and harmful UV rays from the sun. On the downside, many customers complained of the weak parts especially the hinges breaking off.
Overall, this cooler is for large occasions and spacious enough to carry drinks and food that will last a whole 7-day trip. Again, it is an attractive option for the adventuring seeking folks – it has space, ice retention, and an attractive price too.
Igloo Iceless 40QT Thermoelectric Power Cooler
- Powered by 12V DC auto plug adapter
- Cools to 38 DegreeF below ambient temperature
- Convection cooling - fan circulates cold air, allows plastic bottles to cool as much and as quickly as cans
- Can be used upright like a refrigerator or horizontal like an ice chest
- Adjustable food shelf or divider
A decade ago, nobody ever knew that coolers could one day turn to semi-fridges. Thanks to technology, coolers are getting sophisticated and you easily make ice by plugging your cooler to a power source. Yes, you don’t need ice packs, physical ice or dry ice. Also, this cooler is often picked up for road trips, as they don’t leave your cooler messy from melted ice.
The igloo iceless cooler is one of the most rated 12v coolers available on the market. It cools to 38 degrees and utilizes a Peltier effect for convection cooling. The interior is set up features a shelf and divider to organize the content inside. One great thing about the cooler is you can keep it upright like a refrigerator or flat like conventional ice chests.
It has a quiet brushless motor that circulates air efficiently for quick cooling. In fact, the manufacturers boast that it can cool plastic containers as quickly as cans.
For transport, it has swing-up carry handles that allow for a secure and comfortable grip. Needless to say, it is easy to carry around even when it’s filled with drinks.
Even if you are on the go, you’ll appreciate that you can plug the cable into your vehicle cigarette lighter port to get ice. And when you are not traveling, you can connect it to any 12v outlet. This cooler is suitable for offices, traveling in a truck or car, and offices.
Many users have complained about the 12v cable as it is susceptible to burn. Aside from that, most concerns are just nitpicking.
Igloo Outdoorsman Hardtop Grippe
- MaxCold insulation with 25% more foam to keep food and drinks cooler longer
- Crushproof EVA molded front-zippered fully insulated compartment
- Protective molded tent-top compartment for separate Dry storage
- Ergonomic, rubberized comfort grip handle
- Leak resistant, easy to clean, antimicrobial liner
People that love to travel light, in general, appreciate soft coolers as they are convenient to carry around, portable and mobile. Soft coolers are also excellent options for a day trip and outings that do not require you to pack lots of items. And to count yourself lucky, here’s one of the most rated igloo soft coolers –the Igloo Outdoorman Hardtop Grippe ladies and gentlemen.
Impressively, it features the Maxcold insulation which adds up to 25% foam compared to the average soft bag for prolonged ice retention. Inside contains the antimicrobial liner which is easy to clean and the seams are welded properly to resist leaks.
The cooler basically is divided into two parts – the tent top is for accessories and in the main compartment food and drinks are stored. This provides an organized setup where drinks and food don’t get mixed with accessories. The main compartment integrates a hard liner to prevent your food from getting crushed. In terms of ice retention, many users reported 24 hours of ice at high temperatures.
The handle is made of quality materials that provide a comfortable grip. In addition, it comes with a padded shoulder strap. Either way, you have different carrying options at your disposal.
Igloo Coolers Review – Factors To Consider When Buying
The mark of a good cooler is in its ability to insulate the cooler and retain ice for long periods possible. Igloo coolers are built with true intentions to ensure you savor cold drinks. However, the budget price, for the most part, means their chest is not the best at retaining ice – with the exception of a few but not limited to the likes of the Yukon and Trailmate.
If you are an average user that needs a cooler just to get by for no more than a day then most affordable igloo offerings will meet your needs. However, outdoor enthusiasts will find high-end products ideal for their needs as they retain ice for longer, thicker walls, improved insulation, and expensive pricing.
Although some coolers inherently hold ice better, factors like how you pack it, type of ice used and weather determine how long the cooler will hold ice.
Igloo produces a wide variety of coolers ranging from soft-sided to hard-sided coolers; you’ll never run out of options to choose from. In fact, you can get coolers that can hold as little as 12 cans and some that can hold up to 120 cans.
Depending on what you are using a cooler for, sizing really matters. Events like a picnic with a few friends will not require a large cooler, hence a small or soft cooler will do. In a situation where you need a cooler for a large group or days trip then a large cooler is preferable.
When it comes to size there’s one fit for all. Before choosing a cooler, make sure there’s sufficient space that can hold enough supplies for the event.
Price does not always justify the quality of a cooler, but most often than not, it does. So if you want a cooler that is durable and holds ice you may have to spend more. However, it is important you have a budget for the type of cooler you want to buy and you should not exceed it.
The best thing about Igloo coolers on sale is that there are options for every situation. However, not all the coolers have the same features thus making some coolers better than others for certain situations. In this guide, we tired as much as possible to highlight the best uses for the many igloo ice chests available.
Now that you know many top igloo coolers on the market, and you’ve read the buyer’s guide too, you can safely make your first purchase. Just be sure that the product you choose will cater to your needs. With that, we also have many in-depth cooler reviews on our site.