Updated: November 2019
The fact is – there are a lot of High-end coolers on the market that promise toughness, durability, and ice retention. But are these models Rotomolded coolers?
If you want to skip the hard part of scouring the internet in search of the best-insulated coolers on the market, then the Best Rotomolded coolers are the only way to go.
- 1 Best Rotomolded Coolers – Top Insulated Ice chest Selection
- 2 Small Rotomolded Coolers
- 3 Cheap Rotomolded Coolers
- 4 Roto Molded Coolers with wheels
- 5 FAQs
What Does Rotomolded mean?
Rotomolded coolers AKA Rotationally molded is the process of using high temperature and pressure on plastic to produce robust & thick insulation walls.
In short, rotationally molded coolers are built to withstand harsh situations a regular insulated chest can’t, while the thick walls ensure your ice stays ice.
Best Rotomolded Coolers – Top Insulated Ice chest Selection
When it comes to choosing coolers that can stand the test of gritty outdoor situations, Rotomolded chests are best for the job. In this review, we’ll reveal the best high-end models on the market.
Remember to stick to your budget cause these coolers are a bit expensive than regular coolers.
Considering the features they offer, Rotomolded or high-end ice chests are definitely a bang for your buck.
- Integrated insulation for maximum Ice/cold retention and Freshness of your stowed items for up to 10 days
- This are outdoor-kitchen-accessories
- This is manufactured in United States
- 100% USA Made, Lifetime Warranty
- Lid Gasket to ensure a perfect seal
Believe it or not, ORCA coolers are among the best ice retaining coolers in the market. The manufacturers boast of it keeping ice for up to 10+ days. Well in real life situations, users have reported seven days of ice retention with 90-95 degrees Fahrenheit. Oh, my!
Certified as grizzly resistant, this cooler can take a lot of beating and stand strong, all thanks to the construction. Thick walls of the cooler ensure you stuff remain ice for up to 10 days. Also, it’s equipped with a unique Lid gasket that seals appropriately, while blocking out heat and keeping the cold in. It utilizes Sturdy latches for the cooler for even more ice retention period.
Tie downs secure this cooler effortlessly; you don’t have to fear it sliding off. Despite the huge size, extendable flex-grip handles make ease for carrying. However, you might require help from a friend to lift the cooler when filled.
You’ll be happy to know that it comes in different sizes. Name the purpose, and there’s an ORCA size fit for it. The sizes range from; 20, 26, 40, 58, 75, and 140 quarts. Also, there are ample colors you can choose from. It includes medium-sized drain plugs that purge water completely.
This cooler would have been perfect but users have made complaints of the lid snapping shut when unattended to. Aside that, if you are searching for a great insulated cooler, the Orca is yours to take.
What we like:
Tough Rotomolded Construction
Grizzly bear Resistant
Long Ice retention performance
What we didn’t like:
A bit expensive – However most of the rotomolded ice chest are expensive than average coolers
Engel DeepBlue Cooler
- Best in class ice retention and overall performance, holds ice for up to 10 days
- Rotationally molded with 2 inches of polyurethane insulation all round
- IGBC Certified bear resistant container - when 2 locks used
- Silicone airtight gasket, adjustable recessed marine grade compression latches and UV-Resistant Contruction
- Dry Ice compatable. Non-Marking rubber feet. 10 year warranty
Peaked at second on the list, this insulated cooler is known to retain ice better than most coolers. As a matter of fact, only the ORCA is tested to maintain ice longer than the Engel Deepblue.
With numerous sizes from 20-65 quarts, it’s primary function is to please your needs. Obviously, the high insulation is as a result of the two-inch insulation walls and Airtight artic vault gasket. The result is a stellar ice retention performance for up to 7 days, this is perfect especially for people that are always on the road.
Extra feature users will like the bottle opener is something you’d like about it. Made from ergonomic rope handles, it’s easy to transport the cooler. Just like the ORCA, tie downs are readily available to secure the cooler on boats.
Also available is the Duolock security holes which can be locked using a padlock to keep thieves & grizzly bears out.
Overall, this cooler is high end but what’s the best part – Ice retention and the Inexpensive price is there to make you satisfied.
What we like:
Great Duolock Security
High insulation performance
Holds ice for up to 10 days
Two-inch rotomolded construction – Makes it survive harsh conditions
What we didn’t like:
To be honest, there’s nothing odd about this cooler. Considering that almost all coolers have similar inconsistencies
Yeti Tundra – Best Rotomolded Cooler
- The YETI Tundra 65 is just as adept at keeping your catches cold in the field as it is storing the drinks and food for your backyard barbecue, this ice chest is plenty roomy, holding a limit of redfish or your prized brisket
- Ice stays ice thanks to up to 3 inches of PermaFrost Insulation and an extra thick FatWall design is certified Bear-Resistant
- The Rotomolded Construction makes the Tundra armored to the core and virtually indestructible so wherever you decide to take it, this portable cooler’s sturdy construction will stand up to the rigors of the journey
- All Tundra coolers feature T-Rex Lid Latches constructed of heavy-duty rubber so you’ll never see another busted latch and has patented keeper technology
- The Tundra 65 dimensions are 30 1/2 in long x 17 1/2 in wide x 16 in high with an empty weight of 29 lbs NOTE: All Tundra models come standard with one dry goods basket.
Amongst Yeti coolers, the tundra is the most popular in their product line. With Rotomolded construction the body is designed to take beatings and stand firm, while it also offers maximum ice retention. The tundra is tested to hold ice for 5-7 days. Equipped with hard T-rex Lid latches, busted latch is a thing of the past.
It comes in different sizes starting as small as 20 quarts to a staggering 350 quarts (oh! All that space). Non-skid feet make the cooler stay in place without leaving marks on your floors. It also has molded-in tie-down points that secure it to a boat or truck. For maximum protection, it includes padlock holes to keep grizzly bears out. Tired of flimsy hinges? The good news is the Tundra hinges are designed to last.
On the downsides, the Yeti is the most popular cooler brand in the world, but it doesn’t mean it’s perfect. The price and heavyweight (as a result of rotomolded construction) are turnoff factors for some. However, we can’t overlook the quality and high performance it gives.
What we like:
Grizzly bear resistant
High insulation performance – holds ice for up to 7 days
Non-skid feets keep the cooler in place.
Sturdy build – Rotomolded construction makes it last for years
What we didn’t like:
Price – Yeti coolers are expensive. Despite the hefty price it’s not the best ice retaining cooler
Weight – users have complained of the heavy weight of the cooler
Pelican ProGear – Rugged High-End Rotomolded Cooler
- VOLUME: True 30 quart internal volume
- EXTREME ICE RETENTION: 2 inches of polyurethane insulation with a 360 degree freezer-grade gasket delivers extreme ice retention
- FEATURES: Over molded carry handle, 3 inch locking latches, reinforced lockable hasp, stainless steel bottle opener, anti-shear hinge system, molded-in tie-down slots
- FEATURES: 4 self draining cup holders, non-skid rubber feet
- MADE IN USA: Includes Pelican's legendary lifetime - "you break it, we replace it. Forever! "
Everything on the Pelican ProGear screams – quality. As it is made in the USA, there’s no doubt; this cooler will stand the test of time. Made from rotomolded plastic, it can hold any impact you throw at it.
With that said, it combines 2 inches of polyurethane insulation plus a 360 freezer grade gasket to hold ice for an excess of 10 days.
3-inch locking latches ensure you lid remain sealed at all times. More to it, 4 cup holders, it’ll make an excellent marine cooler as it features a measuring board in the lid, so that you can measure the length of your catch. The non-skid rubber fit offers optimum grip while it doesn’t leave scratches on floors.
Equipped with molded handles, you’ll find it a breeze to carry the cooler. Oversized drain plug helps purge water, tie-down slots secure the chest to a boat or truck. Other additional features like the Stainless steel opener and the lockable hasp protects the cooler from intruders.
Worried the ice chest is broken? Then don’t, it has a tan unbelievable lifetime guarantee. To sum it all, the ProGear has one of the most robust builds and high insulation performance. Needless to say, this is a proven high-end cooler. Read about all the pelican coolers on sale.
What we like:
Easy to spouts to drain water
Great insulation performance
Strong molded handles
Durable rotomolded build
What we don’t like:
The cooler has a large exterior
The rotomolded construction makes it heavy
Igloo Yukon Coolers
- Integrated fish keeper scale measuring tool on lid
- Constructed of ultra durable rotational-molded polyethylene
- Raised, textured work surface on lid
- Oversized tethered drain plug for easy draining and cleaning
- Dual lid locks for maximum security
The Yukon coolers are the select line of igloo highest insulated coolers. As a result of the sturdy rotational-molded polyethylene and thick walls, not only is the Yukon strong but retains ice for extended periods.
It injects 3 inches of foam in the lid and 2 inches around the walls, enhancing improved ice retention for up to 5 days in 90 degrees Fahrenheit.
With numerous sizes of 50 – 150 quarts this cooler has all the sizes for your gear needs. The construction design is just genius; the elevated design allows efficient airflow underneath to increase cooling performance.
The textured surface on the lid is strong enough for you to sit on, while it includes a measuring scale to help measure your fish.
Robustly integrated handles are easy to grasp especially with gloves on, and the oversized plug efficiently drains water completely. The lid of the cooler offers provision for padlock to protect against animals and thieves.
It has all stainless-steel hinge which doesn’t break easily, even after years of use.
What we like:
Oversized drain spout for optimum water purge
Robust rotomolded construction
What we don’t like:
Average ice retention time
Grizzly coolers are best for camping trips, mainly cause of their rotomolded build, this cooler is certified as grizzly bear resistant.
Also, the cooler includes a thick polyurethane insulation plus sturdy rubber gaskets to hold ice for up to 5 days. It includes robust latches to add pressure on the lid, providing a tight seal in the process.
Oversized drain spout to drain water quickly is suitable for outdoor activities. Coming in at numerous sizes ranging from as low as 15 quarts to a behemoth 400 quarts.
In terms of retaining ice, the Bearclaw latches provide a perfect seal between the lid and base and the thick walls can hold all the ice in for an impressive 5 – 7 days.
Two drain plug provides for quick and complete water purge. The hinges are made from stainless steel pin, expect none of that annoying breaks after few months of use. It’s in fact, designed to last.
Other highlight features include; non-slip rubber feet, molded-in handles for ease of carrying, tie-down slots to secure the cooler on boats or trucks. The best part is that Grizzly is made in the US. You are rest assured of the quality ice chest and the lifetime guarantee is something users would love.
What we like:
It comes in numerous sizes to choose from
Efficient drain spout
Thick walls & Heavy duty latches – Provides longer ice retention periods
What we don’t like:
Average ice performance
Small Rotomolded Coolers
Coming in all sorts of shapes & sizes, there are different sizes for each occasion. Why choose a small roto molded chest? As they are compact and small, they provide more versatility and mobility which is lacking in larger models. Also, consumers that don’t need many supplies for a trip wouldn’t need a large storage space. That’s when you need a smaller model to cater to your needs.
DeWalt 10 Qt
- T.O.U.G.H. Roto Mold Design stands up to the roughest treatment and ensures temperature optimization under great heat
- Easy-Open Cam Latch System provides secure closure and the reinforced insulation provides superior ice retention that keeps food and drink cold for days
- Heavy duty Handle for comfortable transporting and integrated Bottle Opener for convenience
- Accessory Friendly - Integrated Ice Pack Storage Area (Dimension: 17.09" (L) x 11.18" (W) x 11.1" (H); Weight: 7.95 lbs)
- Perfect for taking to the job site, backyard barbeques, campgrounds, sporting events, etc.
Dewalt is not as popular as other cooler brands on the list, but has enough clout to compete with the best. If you are looking for a small cooler for a short trip or to cater for a small group of people, this is for you. It comes with a tough rotomolded design, and the latching mechanism ensures the chest is provided with all the insulation to keep your drinks cold and your food fresh.
Non-slip rubber feet provide grip and hold the cooler from sliding. Besides, there’s a cup holder in the lid to help keep your drinks without frequently opening the cooler.
With many features, it integrates a bottle opener which is attached to the lid. Easy carry handles make carrying a breeze. Thanks to the compact size, it can fit into tight spaces, making it a perfect lunch box cooler carry to a job site.
Camco Currituck 21qt Heavy Duty Cooler
- Superior cold and ice retention
- Rotomolded design offers extreme durability
- Great for hunting, fishing, tailgating and camping
- Fully sealing gasket
- 5 year manufacturer's warranty
Camco Currituck Heavy Duty Cooler is yet another 21qt small cooler with all the whistles and bells. Although compact in size, it can carry up to 26 pounds of ice and 18 cans, plus space for ice.
Perfect seal through lid gasket increases the insulation and ice retention. The high-end design is suitable for rigorous outdoor activities like tailgating, hunting, camping etc. In all, users have posted satisfying reports about the ice retention, with impressive numbers that are up to 4 days.
Overall, it is tougher and protects well against animals. Put a lock on your cooler and you can keep your cooler outside without fear whatsoever. This model is a very fine model and a price you’d find friendly.
Cheap Rotomolded Coolers
Premium coolers cost an arm and leg. Just joking, hypothetical speaking. Owing to its process of construction, the price tends to be steeper. If you are on a budget and you need something just as tough and rugged as premium options don’t give up hope yet. There are many roto-molded coolers on the cheap side. With just less than $200, you can find an affordable model that is constructed robustly to last years of use.
- DOUBLE-WALL ROTOMOLED CONSTRUCTION - Roto-molded for extreme durability and longevity.
- THICK FOAM INSULATION - The lid and walls of the cooler are filled with a thick layer of high quality foam insulation to create a high-performance thermal barrier.
- FREEZER-GRADE LID GASKET - The lid is constructed with a freezer grade gasket made of thick rubber that seals against the rim to prevent any air flow.
- INTEGRATED STAINLESS STEEL HINGE SYSTEM - The cooler has an integrated hinge system formed by the interlocking connection of the lid and box secured with a stainless steel hinge-pin.
- PADDED ROTATING METAL HANDLE - The padded rotating metal handle makes this cooler easy to grab and go!
It features a durable latching system, and thick rubber feet to prevent the cooler from sliding off on surfaces. There is a large draining spout to drain water quickly.
Monoprice Pure outdoor Emperor Cooler
- Buy with Confidence: With Monoprice's Lifetime Warranty on all Cables, you can rest assured we stand behind our products and our customers.
- The durable rubber anchor latches are augmented with steel reinforced padlock holes at both front corners
- Tie-down slots on each side allow you to use with tie-down straps to keep your cooler from sliding around
- Stress-free, low-pressure rotomold construction makes our Coolers durable to their very core and virtually indestructible.
- Keep cold items cold for more than 130 hours or hot items hot for more than 150 hours
Monoprice pure outdoor is among the top emerging coolers on the internet. The growing positive reviews of this product shows it’s soon going to be a force to reckon with. Made of thick walls and added foam insulation, it’s quite bulky to move around. On the good side, it’s heavy nature makes it robust and you have an assurance of cold drinks and food.
Durable latches plus steel reinforced padlock holes make the cooler resistant to grizzly bear attacks. With tie down slots, it makes a very good marine chest, as it ensures your cooler stays unmoved against rough waters.
Roto Molded Coolers with wheels
The heavy nature of the rotomolded production of coolers is perhaps its biggest disadvantage. Quite bulky especially when filled, you need two hands to move it around. This might get even strenuous moving it over considerable distances. So what now? Have you ever heard of coolers with wheels? If you have then you should know that rolling your cooler is far more pleasurable and gratifying experience than lugging or lifting.
The then problems of rotomolded chest were they didn’t integrate wheels to their coolers. However, things have changed now, and we are starting to see top brands include wheels to ice chests. Here are some brands with rugged wheels for every terrain.
RovR 80 Quart Wheeled Cooler
- HIGH PERFORMANCE, PUNCTURE-RESISTANT TIRES! Our coolers ride on 9-inch all-terrain tires mounted on five-spoke aluminum hubs. They’re fast, agile, durable and awesome in sand.
- UP TO 10 DAYS OF ICE! That's what you get when you combine a rotomolded, elevated body with an airtight gasket and thick foam insulation.
- LARGE CAPACITY: Without Deepfreeze dry bin installed: 120 cans and 20lbs. of ice. With Deepfreeze dry bin installed: 88 cans and 10 pounds of ice in main compartment and over 6 bottles of spirits upright, 10 pound sealed bag of ice, 50 quarter pound burgers, a full slab of ribs, and an assortment of breads, fruits and vegies in dry compartments.
- DRY STORAGE BIN INCLUDED: Deep Freeze removable Dry Bin with 2 compartments *BikR Kit sold separately *Table and Cupholder sold separately
- Winner of the MEN'S JOURNAL 2018 GEAR OF THE YEAR Award for the most feature-packed cooler!
Moving on rough terrains has never been easier. It includes 9-inch puncture resistant tires with aluminum wheels can carry any load its capacity will contain. Dual pull handle makes for fast & easy transport of heavy loads. The interior is well organized, thanks to the deep storage which provides a refrigerator style compartment to keep items like food, meat, fish, drinks separately.
There’s a wagon bin integrated on the lid to help pack extra supplies without making extra trips. Available in three color outfits; Desert, Moss, & Powder, you have many colors to choose from.
This cooler could have been perfect aside from the fact that it’s made from cheap plastic. It’s a cooler you will fall in love with at first sight.
Igloo Trailmate Liddup Wheeled Lighted 70 Quart Cooler
- LED lights - keep the good times rolling from day into night with 360 degree lighted interior powered by LiddUp
- Oversized wheels - tackle Sand and other challenging terrain with the superior traction and ground clearance of 10-inch, never-flat, smooth-ride wheels
- Comfortable Glide handle - pull your load 50% easier thanks to the comfort and leverage of our locking, telescoping, horizontal handle
- Stainless steel and aluminum parts - enjoy durability down to the details with premium, stainless-steel, rust-resistant screws and lightweight marine grade aluminum parts
- Butler tray - serve up drinks and snacks away from Sand and dirt on our removable butler tray, which stores easily under the cooler's lid when not in use
Igloo trailmate liddup is among the most exciting cooler models on the list. This product includes Ultratherm Technology around the walls & lid. The result is a significant rise in thermal performance. With a 70qt capacity, it holds up to 112 12oz beverage cans with enough space to fit in ice.
Another exciting feature is the butler tray to serve drinks and folds under the lid when not in use. Searching for drinks especially in the night can a pain in the ass. Well, it doesn’t have to, the LED lights provide lighting for you to pick your drinks without disorganizing items.
Why Rotomolded Ice Chests?
What is it with this coolers? Why are they regarded as the toughest and costs a bit high than regular coolers? Well, you’ll find out below
Rotationally molded coolers have inherent strengths from thick inches of polyurethane foam insulation, combined with sturdy latches to provide a tight seal. The thick walls are there to hold all the ice in, while the latches block out heat from getting into the chest.
Tough Construction – Overall Sturdy Build
One of the major highlights of a rotationally molded cooler is its ability to take abuse a regular cooler can’t. Therefore, they are built with tough and UV resistant materials. Even when exposed to the harsh weather, they can successfully pull through. And that my friend, justifies their hefty price tag.
IGBC Bear resistant certified
These hard-sided coolers are tested by the Interagency Grizzly bear committee (IGBC) and are certified bear-resistant after meeting all the criteria.
The IGBC control the structural and design standard for bear-resistant chest. The good news is all the cooler on this list are officially approved by the IGBC.
Best Insulated Coolers – Wrapping it up
As you could tell from the Best Rotomolded coolers review, there aren’t a lot of quality cooler brands that can compete with the ones on our list.
While rotationally molded ice chests are becoming popular, the price is a cause of bother for many. However, spending a few dollars over a high-end cooler will save you the trouble of busted latches, leaking, low ice retention and much more.
Yeti Rotomolded chests are the most expensive of the bunch. However, there are a lot of Yeti alternatives on the market costs half than Yeti and still offer the same performance.
Finally, these coolers are pumped with twice the insulation than average ice chests. Furthermore, it’s overall design is engineered to last a lifetime of use. If you are tired of changing coolers now and then as a result of sub-standard quality, why not bank of the Rotomolded coolers.
They’ve been tested and proven to take anything you throw at it. What are you waiting for? You can check out the top coolers currently available in the market.