Last Updated: March 2020
Hunting is for the brave. If you are planning on a hunting trip, it’s ideal you bring all the necessary gears to ensure you have a successful hunt.
One of the vital gear you’d ever take with you is a hunting ice chest.
Because they are built with tough & robust materials to last a lifetime.
Most of the hunting chest options are rotomolded, meaning they have thicker wall insulation, sturdy latches, a proper seal between the base and the lid, and grizzly bear resistant.
Rotationally made coolers have been tested to retain ice longer than regular coolers, some cooler brands, like the Yeti, RTIC, ORCA, Pelican, et al have proven that ice chests can hold ice for more than a week.
- 1 Best Hunting Coolers – Camouflage Models That Blend With Nature
- 1.1 YETI Tundra 75 Cooler – Most Rated Hunting Cooler
- 1.2 Grizzly Coolers
- 1.3 Vibe Element 45Q Heavy Duty Rotomolded Cooler
- 1.4 Soft-Sided Hunting Coolers
- 1.5 Wise Outdoors Super Sport Hunting Seat with Insulated Cooler
- 1.6 Igloo Real Tree Softside Hunting Cooler Backpack
- 1.7 Pelican ProGear Coolers
- 1.8 AO Coolers Canvas Soft Cooler with High-Density Insulation
Best Hunting Coolers – Camouflage Models That Blend With Nature
|Product Name||Our Ice Retention Rating||Price|
|Grizzly Cooler (Editor's Choice)||4.5|
|Wise Hunting Seat Cooler||4.0|
|Igloo Cooler Backpack||3.8|
|AO Soft Cooler||4.0|
|Vibe Element ||4.3|
It is not wrong to say that hunting ice chests are expensive. So before you spend money, it is important to know the size, quality, and functionalities of the cooler.
To help you narrow down your choices, we’ve selected the best hunting coolers for you to choose from. We have also included some information in this review.
YETI Tundra 75 Cooler – Most Rated Hunting Cooler
- The YETI Tundra 75 is the outdoor cooler that's ideal for keeping your family and friends fed and hydrated, able to hold up to 50 cans with recommended 2:1 ice-to-contents ratio, briskets, or fishing limits easily
- Ice stays ice thanks to up to 3 inches of PermaFrost Insulation and an extra thick FatWall design is certified Bear-Resistant
- The Rotomolded Construction makes the Tundra armored to the core and virtually indestructible so wherever you decide to take it, this portable cooler’s sturdy construction will stand up to the rigors of the journey
- All Tundra coolers feature T-Rex Lid Latches constructed of heavy-duty rubber so you’ll never see another busted latch and has patented keeper technology
- The Tundra 75 dimensions are 33 1/4 in long x 18 in wide x 18 in high with an empty weight of 34 lbs NOTE: All Tundra models come standard with one dry goods basket.
Yeti is perhaps the most prominent cooler brand. This sturdy rotomolded cooler is designed to last many hunting trips. 2 inches of foam insulation in the walls and 3 inches in the lid makes the cooler bulky and strong.
Recessed hinges are dexterously built not to snap or break. One amazing feature I like is the large sealing gasket that locks the cooler tight, this traps the cold in.
The non-skid enables the Yeti tundra to stay in place and won’t slide off. Large storage ensures you can store up to 50 cans plus ice.
Certified to be grizzly resistant, the cooler is designed to keep animals and intruders out. Whether it’s in a deer camp, in your boat, or out in the wild, it will last for years.
- True 40 quart capacity
- Made in the USA with a Lifetime Warranty
- Roto tough rotationally molded construction with environmentally friendly insulation
- Features molded in/rope handles, a large 2 inch drain plug and plastic dry goods Tray
- Bear claw latch System requires no hardware to keep a secure grip
Looking for a Rotomolded cooler that is designed to survive multiple hunting trips, you will be glad you invested your money in this product. It’s sturdy construction, and thick walls mean – not only do you have a reliable cooler but increases ice performance.
What makes the grizzly cooler stand out is that it’s made in USA. This is a great deal for most users that prefer USA products as they guarantee optimum quality.
It also comes in different sizes of a 15 – 400 quarts, whether its tailgating, fishing, camping or hunting the grizzly is an ideal choice.
The rugged gasket seal and Eco mate insulation ensure all your drinks are chilled for up to 5 – 7 days. There is also a drain plug for easy draining of water.
You will also appreciate the latching mechanism as it combines two padlocks to keep your chest protected from animals and intruders.
Last but not the least, the cooler has a lifetime guarantee, if it’s get broken, grizzly will fix it for you.
Vibe Element 45Q Heavy Duty Rotomolded Cooler
- Durable, one piece roto molded construction with up to 3 inch insulated walls with freezer style lid gasket, and heavy duty rubber T-latches
- 45 Quart Volume: Based on half drink/half ice ratio: Fits 28 cans
- Features integrated pressure release button, rapid flow drain spout, heavy duty padded handle, and non-skid rubber feet to keep cooler off hot surfaces
- Features two built in bottle openers, molded tie down slots, and integrated locking system
- Lid features a measuring board in centimeters and inches
Over the years, we have seen lots of camouflage coolers but the vibe element has a near perfect blend of colors. What really makes this camouflage ice chest stand out is the impeccable design – both construction and color wise.
Its sturdy construction is resistant to all the rigors of adventure and the rotomolded thick walls enhance the cooling performance. You will be able to get 4 days of ice if you pre-chill the ice box.
Oversized drain spout enhances quick water purge, while the 45-quart storage space can fit up to 28 cans. Also, the cooler includes molded-in tie downs, 2 built-in openers, and an integrated fish scale on the lid to measure your catch.
The latching mechanism is hard, the locks pretty tight and heat doesn’t get in so that your ice stays to longer periods.
Soft-Sided Hunting Coolers
Wise Outdoors Super Sport Hunting Seat with Insulated Cooler
- Tough Polyester Camo Fabric, 1" Thick Premium Foam Padding
- Heavy Duty Plastic 10 Gallon Bucket Rated For Over 350 pounds
- Marine Swivel with Plastic Folding Seat
- Removable Insulated Foam Cooler and an Adjustable Shoulder Carry Strap System
- Seat 11' x 12" Overall Height 31"
You know how tiring it can be to lift a cooler for long, your back will likely ache and you will need a place to rest.
You will be blown away by this – the cooler comes with a plastic folding seat with a swivel which allows you to sit and rest your back. When you are tired from the hunt, just grab a cold drink and enjoy the moment. When you are not using the chair, it’s swivels down without a fuss.
The storage space is perfect for holding all your drinks. Surprisingly, the cooler is big enough to carry up to 10 gallons. With the camouflage design, it becomes easy to blend into the bush; the design is so perfect that a prey won’t be startled.
Designed to impress and help hunters rest after a long period of hunting, there is very little not to like this cooler from wise outdoors.
It comes with molded-in handles, although your hands might get sour after a while. There is an adjustable shoulder strap which allows carrying the ice chest over long distances.
Igloo Real Tree Softside Hunting Cooler Backpack
- Softside Backpack Cooler
- Fully insulated to keep food and drinks cold
- Exterior pockets for drinks & gear
- Adjustable padded straps for comfort
- Holds 18 Cans
If are cooler enthusiast, then you must have heard of Igloo coolers. No doubt, the company is one of the leading ice chest brands on the market.
This camo cooler is extremely cheap but don’t think for once that it’s flimsy.
Unlike the previous rotomolded coolers which are heavy and bulky, the Realtree camo cooler gives you versatility. In fact, carrying it around is not a problem because of its lightweight nature and removable/adjustable shoulder strap.
The backpack is designed to help you stay organized, it has easy to clean interior, and the hard plastic base liner is suitable for keeping food. Thanks to quality interior lining, You can put in your drinks plus ice, and it won’t leak.
It comes with 18 cans storage capacity which is quite small for an extended hunting trip. Users will also like all the multiple external pockets and internal pockets which comes in handy for safekeeping of accessories.
This should impress serious hunter – The cooler is designed with compression straps that are designed to hold heavy gears in place.
Overall, this cooler cannot hold ice for more than a day, and the product is susceptible to tears. But for a camo cooler that’s offers comfort, versatility and a cheap price, there isn’t much to bother about.
Pelican ProGear Coolers
- VOLUME: True 50 quart internal volume
- EXTREME ICE RETENTION: 2 inches of polyurethane insulation with a 360 degree freezer-grade gasket delivers extreme ice retention
- FEATURES: Overmolded carry handle, 3 inch locking latches, reinforced lockable hasp, stainless steel bottle opener, anti-shear hinge system, molded-in tie-down slots
- FEATURES: 4 self draining cup holders, non-skid rubber feet
- MADE IN USA: Includes Pelican's legendary lifetime guarantee - "you break it, we replace it. Forever!"
The ProGear is an exclusive class of coolers by pelican which is characterized by the rugged Rotomolded construction and longer ice periods. Even their soft bags are widely regarded to be the toughest online.
If you want a cooler remains unfazed from harsh conditions, the ProGear is your match made in heaven.
The ProGear comes in different sizes ranging from 20 quarts – 240 quarts. The thick walls make the cooler keep ice longer than its competition, while the tough exterior can take anything you throw at it.
It has solid molded-in handles, latches, and hinges. For easy transport, the 45, 55 and 80 quarts sport heavy duty wheels. It comes in multiple colors, but if you choose brown you will also have the advantage of blending into the environment. You will appreciate that the cooler is tested and proved to be grizzly bear resistant.
With that said, there are also plenty of features you will love like the Molded-in lock Hasp, Non-skid feet, molded-tie downs, corrosion resistant stainless steel hardware, integrated fish scale on lid.
To top it all off, the ProGear comes with a lifetime guarantee. We’ve compared two titans; The Pelican Pro Gear Vs Yeti Tundra.
AO Coolers Canvas Soft Cooler with High-Density Insulation
- Soft-sided Canvas cooler with removable shoulder strap
- Guaranteed to hold ice for 24 hours in 120 degree weather; 12-can capacity
- Perfect for boating, fishing, hunting, parties, sporting events, and picnics
- Features a side pocket for dry items
- Twice the insulation of other soft-sided coolers; leak-proof liner
There is very little no to like about this soft-sided cooler from AO. This cooler is capable of keeping your drinks and beverages for 24 hours. Ao designed this cooler to hold 12 cans – this means the cooler is ideal for personal use.
There is also a pocket for smaller items that you need to keep dry, including a removable shoulder strap for transport. Owing to its design, the AO bag is suitable for lots of activities like boating, fishing, hunting, and picnics.
The mossy oak camouflage design makes it easy to explore the bush without sticking out like a sore thumb. Also, the quality TPU liner is used for the interior compartment, hence, making it leak and sweat proof.
In all, the exterior is scratch resistant, sure, the bag will give plenty of use and guaranteed not to tear after some years.
Hunting ice chests should be able to hold ice for longer periods. In fact, the best idea is to use the longest ice retaining coolers on your expedition.
Also, you want to maximize ice retention, here’s an article that gives nifty processes to prolong your chest ice retention during a hunt.
For more cooler reviews like this one, check out our homepage and our compilation of most rated coolers of the year.