Last Updated: March 2020
Collapsible or Foldable coolers are coolers that can be easily tucked away – whether it’s under a shelf or bed, a Foldable cooler will fit in perfectly.
If you are going on a short trip and need extra storage room to pack cold drinks and food, collapsible coolers provide style and convenience and easy access to your items.
The coolest thing about this accessory is that you can slip it into your handbag, and whip it out when you need extra space for drinks. Whether it’s for camping, tailgating or fishing purposes, you’ll be happy to find an ice chest that collapses and hides away.
But it hard to find a soft cooler that does not have a fault – leaking, sweating – are among the typical problem associated with collapsible bags.
However, if you need a big cooler that is robust and holds ice for days – Rotomolded ice chests are your best bet.
- 1 Best Collapsible & Foldable Coolers – Comparison Table
- 1.1 AO Coolers Canvas Foldable Cooler Bag
- 1.2 Coleman C006 Soft 40 Can Collapsible Cooler
- 1.3 California Innovations TableTop Soft Collapsible Cooler
- 1.4 Columbia Foldable Crater Peak Rolling Cooler
- 1.5 Aluminum/ Rachael Ray Jumbo ChillOut Thermal Tote – Best For women
- 1.6 VonShef Foldable 22L Insulated Large Cooler Bag – Navy
- 1.7 eBags Crew Collapsible Cooler II
- 1.8 What to Consider before buying a portable cooler bag
- 1.9 Extra Pockets
- 1.10 Capacity
- 1.11 Sweat Proof
- 1.12 Insulated Parts
- 1.13 Strong Zippers
- 1.14 How To Maintain Your Cooler
- 1.15 Where to buy collapsible Collapsible & Folding Coolers?
- 1.16 What Activities are Foldable coolers suitable for?
- 1.17 Travel
- 1.18 Outdoor Activities
- 1.19 Lunch
- 2 FAQ
Best Collapsible & Foldable Coolers – Comparison Table
Our work here at coolersjunkie is to hook you up with the best collapsible or foldable coolers. Below you will find a list of insulated bags which have been tested to retain ice and provide maximum comfort on your travels:
AO Coolers Canvas Foldable Cooler Bag
- Soft-sided cooler with removable shoulder strap
- Guaranteed to hold ice for 24 hours in 120 degree weather; 12-can capacity.Product Dimensions: 14 x 7 x 12 inches
- Perfect for boating, fishing, hunting, parties, sporting events, and picnics
- Features a side pocket for dry items
- Twice the insulation of other soft-sided coolers; leak-proof liner
AO coolers are convenient soft-sided options for anyone on the go. Coming first on our list, it’s by no means a fluke because this bag deserves a spot on our top foldable bags.
While it isn’t the largest on the list, it’s has a capacity of up to 42 cans plus enough storage to fit in ice. Made of canvas materials, it’s resistant to wear and tear. There’s a side pocket that is great for last minute items.
This bag is constructed to retain ice twice than regular soft-sided coolers, and the entire construction centers around a strong puncture resistant bag. It is smartly fitted with an interior liner to hold ice for hours, however, don’t expect it to hold ice for more than a day.
Concerning carrying, it comes with two options; a single handle, and single shoulder strap. Both options make for convenient movement.
This cooler bag is available in black, Red, Mossy oak, blue and our favorite color, the charcoal.
Coleman C006 Soft 40 Can Collapsible Cooler
- Insulation: Main compartment keeps contents cold and prevents leaks with heat welded seams
- Capacity: Holds up to 40 Cans
- Space saver: Collapsible design for easy storage
- Odor resistant liner: Treated with antimicrobials to resist odor, mold, and fungus
- Storage options: Front zippered pocket, side mesh pockets, and back bungee for storing accessories
This bag is from one of the reputable market brand leader themselves. Coleman produces a range of superior coolers in the market, and this one too is no exception.
Whether you need a foldable chest to carry your food, drinks or beverages, the Coleman will fit the bill. Sturdy and robust, it’s super lightweight and fashionable. It is made of quality fabric and high-quality zippers.
It measures 17.72 x 11.81 x 15.75 inches, and meshes hold 43 cans. When not in use, this bag can be easily folded and put away. The opening is through a flip-flop zippers on top and a small pocket outside lets you pack valuable items that won’t fit into the cold. It has a two-way carry option – a single handle that can be hung on the shoulders, and storage areas grip handles on the side.
Heat welded seams prevent leaks from the bag, while the fabric prevents the bag from sweating. The interior lining makes for easy cleaning of stains, and it has great value for money considering the brand.
California Innovations TableTop Soft Collapsible Cooler
- SuperFoam insulated interior and Therma-Flect radiant barrier lid provides superior cooling
- Soft cooler collapses for easy storage
- Ultra Safe leak proof, easy clean lining with Microban antimicrobial protection
- Exterior zippered pocket to carry accessories and bungees on side to hold extra gear
- Carry handles make transporting easy
The California tabletop foldable 11 x 11.75 x 17 inches is the perfect size for a short picnic trip. It has a top zippered main compartment, with an exterior zippered pocket to store your items and mesh pouch on the sides, it provides a massive amount of storage in a compact space.
The California tabletop is made of lightweight and durable materials, an insulated interior and leak-proof liners provide an increase in cooling performance. Also, the liner used in the interior makes it extremely easy to clean tough stains and odors.
This bag cleverly tucks away, transforming itself into a flat pouch which users can slip into a suitcase. It weighs 1.5 pounds and has enough storage to pack your drinks. When unfolded, it takes the shape of a cuboid; this makes it perfect to stuff all your items in one place and not shift around.
Overall, this cheap foldable ice chest is not the best ice preserving cooler, but It sure holds ice for hours.
Columbia Foldable Crater Peak Rolling Cooler
- 50 can rolling cooler with high performance SuperFoam insulation
- Therma-Flect interior radiant barrier reflects heat rather than absorbing it to keep food fresh for hours
- Ultra Safe leak proof lining with Microban protects against bacterial odors and stains and helps make this product easier to clean
- Features a foldable cart with all-terrain wheels and a retractable, telescopic hook 'n' go handle (cart holds up to 80 lbs./36.3 kg)
- Padded handles allow for comfortable carrying
See, there’s no doubt. The Columbia crater is aesthetically pleasing, and we can’t help but gush about its looks. It’s the best collapsible coolers for travel.
This rolling cooler is a great tote bag for your cold drinks & beverages. Spacious enough, it offers up to 40 beers. Equipped with wheels, although not as sturdy, you can easily roll over the cooler even when it’s filled on a smooth surface. You might find it a tad hard on harsh terrains.
Coupled with Superfoam insulation and Therma-flect radiant barrier, get ready for improved cooling & insulation performance. Removable and 100 percent leakproof liner further provides ice retention and easy to clean interior.
A zippered Flip-flop open provides easy access to your items. A small external pocket and large zippered pocket on the front are handy for storing items you wouldn’t want to get mixed with the cold.
It comes with a foldable cart, rubberized wheels telescoping hook n go handles plus padded side handles for ease of transportation.
Aluminum/ Rachael Ray Jumbo ChillOut Thermal Tote – Best For women
- EXTRA-LARGE CAPACITY ZIPPERED TOTE: 10-gallon capacity is great for grocery shopping trips, the beach, parties, tailgating, camping and more
- TRANSPORT FROZEN, COLD OR HOT ITEMS: Constructed with Triple-Tek foam insulation and Temperfoil lining with a radiant barrier for exceptional retention of heat and cold
- VERSATILE: Handles adjust to carry items horizontally, making it easy to transport a large pizza or sheet cake
- LEAK PROOF LINING: Temperfoil lining with sealed seams protects against messy leaks and drips, wipes clean easily, and is treated with Sanafor to prevent the growth of mold and bacteria
- ADDITIONAL FEATURES: Has comfortable handles and an exterior slip pocket for small items, measures approximately 22.5" X 8" X 17.5" and folds for easy storage
Fabricated entirely premium materials, the bag is quite lightweight and easy to cart around. In terms of capacity, it has a massive space with a 10-gallon capacity, suited for shopping frozen groceries from the market. It combines a temperfoil lining with a radiant barrier which reflects heat and helps improve the cooling performance. Hence, you get more hours of ice.
Comfortable handles are fitted on both sides and can be pulled up so that you can carry the bag horizontally. On the exterior, there’s a side flip pocket is used to store valuable items separately. After use or when not needed, the product can be collapsed and tucked into a bag.
- Large 22 litre capacity - ideal for picnics, beach trips, festivals, BBQs, camping, fishing trips & more!
- Insulated silver Aluminium Foil Lining offers superior temperature retention - keeps food and drink cool or warm for hours
- Constructed from durable navy polyester with a sturdy aluminium frame & reinforced base
- Lightweight design with comfortable double padded handle. Folds flat for storage
- Size: L15 x W9.5 x H9.8 inches (approx.).
If you need a tote bag with high cooling performance to store your drinks and keep them is built, then there’s no way to go than the Vonsef foldable cooler. The lightweight and vibrant color will make you like the cooler at first sight.
It measures Size: L 15″ x W 9.8″ x H 9.8″ (approx.) and L 15″ x W 10″ x 2.5” when compressed. Weight just 1.4lbs, all you get is a convenient cooler you can carry around for hours without tiring.
With a 22 liters capacity, the cooler provides more than enough storage space for a day at the beach, picnic, camp or BBQs. The interior is built with a silver aluminum foil lining which improves the insulation performance.
Made of lightweight and durable navy polyester with trimmings of aluminum on the frame and base, the cooler retains its shape.
eBags Crew Collapsible Cooler II
- MULTIPLE COMPARTMENTS MAKE ORGANIZATION SIMPLE: The Crew Cooler II features 2 main compartments for carrying your lunch and snacks. The easy access top is for dry goods while the large, insulated bottom compartment keeps your food and beverages cold.
- DESIGNED FOR FLIGHT ATTENDANTS, MADE FOR YOU: Perfect for work, travel, or the weekends the Crew Cooler II was designed with the unique needs of flight attendants and pilots. With a versatile and functional design, it's built tough to stand up to your needs.
- CARRY EVERYTHING YOU NEED IN COMFORT: Choose between a shoulder strap or handles for easy carry, or use the pass-thru pocket for attaching to luggage. Then load up the front pocket, side water bottle carriers, and zippered mesh pockets to keep all your items securely in place.
- DURABLE MATERIALS MAKE THIS BAG LAST: Made from 840D, a ballistic nylon, the Crew Cooler II is built to stand-up to daily use while still remaining light and portable. The internal liner is PVC-free PEVA to keep your food cold and you safe.
- PROUDLY MADE BY EBAGS: At eBags, we design products that focus on the details so you can enjoy the big picture. We've traveled the world over the last two decades and understand that every journey matters, as does the bag that goes with you.
Packing is easy with the ebags crew cooler and meshes zippered compartments. The good looks and lots of storage areas make it an excellent choice to stay organized. The comfortable shoulder strap ensures ease of handling.
It features a top dry area to store valuables you don’t want to get mixed with food and drinks. Thanks to the patented insulation design, the bag is insulated on all sides of the bag. Also, the interior utilizes a PEVA lining to prevent leaks, while holding back sweats.
For less than a $100 bucks, this Foldable cooler is durable, has lots of compartments, durable and leak-proof to hold your drinks or food cold or drink for the whole day.
What to Consider before buying a portable cooler bag
With many options available on the market, buyers are quick to get overwhelmed. Buyers who are looking for a cooler bag with all the bells and whistles may want to ensure it has some of the basic features below.
There should be extra pockets to store your accessories as it will enable you to keep your content organized. Mixing accessories with food or cold drinks might cause a mess.
It is important that it has insulated storage areas to help avoid temperature exchange between the main compartment and pockets. Most of the products mentioned on our list include many compartments & mesh pockets.
You probably know this; Different collapsible bags cater to different user requirements. So if you just want something small for a small number of people or you something that will fit into your car without hassles, we recommend the eBags Crew Cooler II.
However, if you need a large size that can store up to 20 cans plus enough space for ice, then the Columbia Crater Peak Rolling Thermal Pack Cooler is ideal for you.
Contrary to what some people believe, not all coolers are constructed with anti-sweat materials. That means the second you add ice into a soft bag, it will show some signs of moisture on the surface.
You’ll need to check in the specifications and reviews from first-hand users whether or not a cooler is actually sweat proof.
Despite the low ice retention period of soft coolers compared to premium ones, they often manage to offer a decent performance. Insulating the walls around the sides, lid and base provide extended ice times.
For comparison sake, even if a bag that’s not insulated is stuffed with ice packs, it will not exceed the same bag that’s insulated.
Zippers in cooler bags are as latches are in conventional coolers. Due to regular opening and closing, you’ll need zippers that can stand continuous use.
Not only are zippers important to protect the contents inside, but it also helps to avoid excessive temperature exchange with the atmosphere, thus increases ice retention.
How To Maintain Your Cooler
It’s a lot easier to buy than it is to maintain. A great way to destroy your cooler bag is to treat it like a regular bag. The maintenance comes down to treating problems as they arise. To enjoy your portable cooler bag for years to come, you have to ensure it gets all the necessary care to keep it in tip-top condition.
Ensure you wash your cooler after some time. This is a relative issue, regular washing can easily cause rips along the stitching. However, instances were a food pour or drink spills inside the interior will require a thorough wash.
This is to avoid bacteria growth and mold. Consumers should avoid the urge over-stuffing as it can easily destroy the zippers since the bag will be forcefully closed.
Where to buy collapsible Collapsible & Folding Coolers?
Buyers have a lot of choices to buy coolers online, however, we recommend Amazon as it features all the juiciest prices that will appeal to you. The comment and reviews from actual users will also help you make an informed decision before you make a purchase.
What Activities are Foldable coolers suitable for?
Well, there are a lot of activities you can use these products for. From the rolling models to removable liner models, there’s a bag for every function.
When traveling, it is important to ensure you pack drinks or food in a cooler, it possible not to find any restaurant close by. Not only is this wise, but it is also economical as it helps you stick to a budget without going overboard.
Rolling coolers like the Columbia Crater Peak Rolling Thermal Pack Cooler is convenient for traveling, considering it saves you the stress of carrying by adding efficient wheels. Whether you are traveling by air or going for a cruise, the models mentioned in our list have the capacity to execute its functions flawlessly.
Outdoor activities can be any event ranging from sports events (soccer, kayaking, football) picnicking, camping, going to the beach et al. You can pack your drinks and food and it will remain cold and fresh even after long periods. If you are looking for meals you could pack for coolers, here are some ideas from this site.
We don’t have to tell you how important eating lunch is. Knowing how strenuous it can get to walk for long hours in search of a perfect restaurant to eat lunch.Knowing that’s the most stressful time of the day.
Well, you can help save some time by packing your food in these soft cooler bags. Luckily, all models on the list will be fitting for packing your lunch to work or school. Built with insulation materials, you’ll get extended hours of cold drinks and warm food.
As you can see, best collapsible coolers provide mobility and versatility. As it is portable you can deploy them for different functions that are unsuitable for hard-sided coolers.
Do not be deceived, soft coolers can keep your drinks cold, and keep your food fresh for a couple of hours or a day at most. For longer trips, resorting to hard sided ice chests will ensure you have more ice for days.
Most of the folding and collapsible coolers are relatively cheap, a selling point that will appeal to users of all kinds.